Healthcare / Medicare for All
Congressman Jimmy Gomez has been a cosponsor of the Medicare for All Act since he was first elected in 2017, and he is a founding member of the Medicare for All Caucus. Jimmy grew up without health insurance and knows first-hand the burden a family experiences when they don’t have access to quality affordable healthcare. He doesn’t want anyone to go through what his family went through. That’s why Jimmy, Senator Bernie Sanders and the Progressive Caucus are fighting to make Medicare for All a reality.
- As a member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, Congressman Gomez participated in hearings on Medicare for All, and was featured in a video by Senator Bernie Sanders in this effort.
- Additionally, Jimmy is a founding member of the Medicare for All Congressional Caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives. The primary purpose of the Medicare for All Caucus is to build a political voting bloc that will fight for and pass legislation to implement Medicare for All.
- Jimmy is an original cosponsor of The Lower Drug Costs Now Act which will lower drug costs by giving Medicare the power to negotiate directly with drug companies, makes lower drug prices negotiated by Medicare available to all Americans, stops drug companies from ripping off Americans while charging other countries less for the same drug, and limits the out-of-pocket costs for prescription drug for Medicare beneficiaries.
- Jimmy introduced the Jeanette Acosta Invest in Women’s Health Act to increase the availability of preventive, life-saving cancer screenings at safety net and reproductive health care providers like Planned Parenthood.
- Jimmy authored the Language Access for Medicare Beneficiaries Act. This bill would require Medicare’s enrollment materials to be translated into additional languages beyond English and Spanish. Congressman Gomez previously called for this action in a letter signed by 62 of his colleagues in May.
- Other cosponsored legislation includes: H.R. 1516 – Healthy Families Act, H.R. 5942 – Health Equity and Accountability Act.
Jimmy is the only candidate endorsed by the United Nurses Associations of California and the National Union of Healthcare Workers.
Combating Climate Change and the Green New Deal
Congressman Gomez believes that climate change poses an existential threat to humanity and that bold legislative actions are required to reverse the environmental, health and economic damage caused by global warming to communities across the globe before it’s too late. Jimmy is a cosponsor of the Green New Deal with Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Additionally, in Congress, Jimmy helped secure over $300 million to clean up a polluted river in California and sponsored the Climate Solutions Act of 2019 to reduce green gas emissions and transition to a 100 percent renewable energy future by 2035.
Jimmy is an environmental champion and received the Green Leadership Award for “bold environmental leadership” from Green California, a coalition of over 100 environmental organizations, and is endorsed by the Sierra Club.
- Jimmy is an original cosponsor of the GREEN NEW DEAL by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Jimmy knows that climate change poses an existential threat to our planet and everyone on it. Bold legislative actions are required to reverse the environmental, health and economic damage caused by global warming to communities across the globe before it’s too late, which is what the Green New Deal would provide.
- Jimmy is a lead cosponsor of the Climate Solutions Act of 2019 which requires that 100% of electricity sold in the United States be generated by renewable sources by 2035. Energy consumption accounts for 73 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Congressman Ted W. Lieu and Congressman Gomez introduced one of the boldest climate bills in Congress.
- Jimmy is the sponsor of the Affordable EVs for Working Families Act. To reduce overall greenhouse gas emissions in the US we also need to get more electric vehicles on the road. That’s why Congressman Gomez introduced the Affordable EVs for Working Families Act to lower the cost of EVs and help get more Americans access to cleaner transportation.
- Jimmy is the lead sponsor of the Home Energy Savings Act and New Home Energy Efficiency Act. Residential energy use accounts for roughly 20% of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. This bill will lower energy costs for working families, while also combating climate change.
- Jimmy cosponsored the California Clean Coast Act to permanently protect our coast from oil drilling and gas leasing.
- Led efforts with Congressman Adam Schiff and Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard to receive more funding for the Los Angeles River Restoration Project.
- Other co-sponsored legislation includes: H.R. 4636 – Prioritizing Energy-Efficient Renewables Act of 2017, H.R. 4246 – No Drilling in Our Backyards Act, and H.R. 3039 – San Gabriel Mountains Forever Act of 2017.
Ending Police Brutality and Criminal Justice Reform
Congressman Jimmy Gomez believes ending police brutality and criminal justice reform must be a top priority for Congress. Jimmy is a cosponsor of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act (H.R. 7120). This bill will hold police officers and departments accountable, increase transparency, make structural changes to our justice system, ban chokeholds and eliminate qualified immunity.
Jimmy supports safe communities, which includes criminal justice reform to ensure equal access to justice, regardless of income. As an Assemblyman, Jimmy co-authored legislation to ban the use of for-profit prisons in California and supported bail reform and sentencing reform for non-violent offenses.
- Jimmy is a Cosponsor of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act. Congressman Gomez believes ending police brutality must be a top priority for Congress. This bill led by Congresswoman Karen Bass would hold police officers and departments accountable and increase transparency, make structural changes to our justice system, ban chokeholds and eliminate qualified immunity as we know it.
- Jimmy is leading an investigation into systemic abuses by “criminal gangs” within the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. As a member of the Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Sub-Committee, Congressman Gomez is taking steps to investigate and expose aggressive policing tactics committed by ‘clique” affiliated deputies and rid the Department of deputies who engage in them.
- Jimmy is a cosponsor of a Resolution to Condemn All Acts of Police Brutality with Rep. Ayanna Pressley. This resolution condemns all acts of police brutality, racial profiling, and the use of excessive and militarized force throughout the country.
- Jimmy voted to pass the FIRST STEP Act, which was signed into law, that shortened mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses.
Debt Free College / Quality Education / Student Loan Cancelation
Congressman Jimmy Gomez believes every student should have the opportunity to attend college without taking on debt. Jimmy was the beneficiary of a public education and attended community college and UCLA. He knows that a good education can transform a person’s life, but only if they are not burdened by hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans. As someone who graduated with student loan debt himself, Jimmy understands the pressure that recent graduates face when trying to start their lives and careers while simultaneously paying their student loan debt.
Jimmy is against any effort to take resources out of public education through vouchers, and is committed to increasing funding for community colleges, vocational education, universities, public schools (including libraries, museums, arts education and STEM), IDEA programs and Head Start so that every child has access to a quality education. He also supports investing in resources for teacher training and retention programs through loan forgiveness.
- Jimmy supports canceling student loan debt and is a cosponsor of Rep. Ayanna Pressley’s resolution, H.Res.100, calling on President Biden to use executive authority to cancel student loan debt.
- Jimmy’s bill H.R. 1564, the Student Loan Tax Relief Act, which was passed and signed into law as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, would make any student loan debt forgiveness tax-free and paves the way for student loan debt to be canceled by executive order.
- Jimmy is a cosponsor of the Debt Free College Act to provide students the opportunity to attain a higher education without debt.
- Jimmy is a cosponsor of the College for All Act, H.R. 2730, which eliminates tuition and fees at four-year public colleges and universities for working families and significantly reduces student debt, and makes community college tuition free for all.
- Jimmy held student debt relief workshops to help residents of his congressional district pay their loans through existing programs.
- Jimmy believes no student should choose between eating and paying for college. That’s why he introduced the Enhanced Access to SNAP Act of 2021 to permanently extend Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligibility to college students beyond the COVID-19 pandemic and help fight on-campus hunger.
Jimmy is the only candidate endorsed by classroom teachers, community college faculty, and the National Education Association.
Housing & Homelessness
The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated our nation’s housing and homelessness crisis. Working families across the U.S. were paying far too much of their income in rent before this crisis and now are facing increasing rents. We cannot afford to, nor should we, turn a blind eye to this problem. That’s why Jimmy has made fighting for more affordable housing, keeping people housed and off the streets a top priority.
Congressmember Jimmy Gomez is a leader in the fight to build more affordable housing, keep people housed and help people experiencing homelessness get the services they need. In January 2020, Jimmy led a letter with 64 members of congress to call on President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris to prioritize the housing and homelessness crisis, sign an executive order to halt evictions and work with Congress to pass rental relief.
In August of 2021, Jimmy successfully fought to extend the eviction moratorium by protesting on the Capitol steps with Representatives Cori Bush, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Mondaire Jones and Ayanna Pressley.
Housing is a human right and Jimmy has a long history and voting record to back up his conviction and support for ensuring that everyone has access to affordable housing.
- Build the Millions of Affordable Housing Units We Need
- If Congress is serious about addressing the affordable housing crisis, it must use every tool available in government to build millions of new affordable housing units. As a member of the Ways and Means Committee, Jimmy and his colleagues put forth a proposal that invests in affordable housing through a historic expansion of the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC). This proposal, which was included in the Build Back Better Act, would increase the number of affordable housing units by over 800,000 in the next decade.
- As Co-Chair of the Racial Equity Initiative, Jimmy introduced legislation to better target LIHTC investments for the most vulnerable by providing enhanced credits for certain projects serving extremely low-income tenants. His bill, H.R. 5219, the Affordable Housing Equity Act, would provide a basis boost of up to 50% for residential units that house ELI renters, effectively increasing the LIHTC for eligible projects.
- Jimmy also secured $1.5 million in federal funding for Los Angeles County to begin the process of developing an underutilized parking lot into affordable housing in Chinatown.
- Make Rent Affordable
- Now more than ever, it’s critical for renters to know their rights and have access to emergency rental assistance. In Los Angeles, Jimmy has hosted Renters’ Rights Workshops to connect renters with resources. In Congress, he is fighting for more funding for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program. In total, over $700 million in rental assistance has been paid for approximately 96,000 households in the City of Los Angeles.
- Additionally, Jimmy is one of the lead sponsors of H.R. 2169, the Rent Relief Act. This bill would create a refundable tax credit for individuals who live in rental housing and pay more than 30% of their gross income for the taxable year on their rent including utilities.
- Even before the pandemic magnified the housing crisis, the poorest renters – particularly those of color – faced a greater risk of eviction and homelessness. We cannot build back better without a whole government approach to tackle housing inequality. The enactment of Jimmy’s bill – the Affordable Housing Equity Act – would provide a targeted incentive to expand affordable housing access for the most vulnerable members of our communities.
- Making Homeownership More Accessible and Sustainable
- The dream of homeownership is out of reach for so many working people, especially low-income workers of color. In Congress, Jimmy has supported legislative efforts to help Angelenos purchase their first homes and homeowners impacted by the pandemic stay in their homes.
- For many first-time home buyers, coming up with a down payment can be difficult, if not impossible. That is why Jimmy voted for one of the largest investments in down payment assistance in history. The Build Back Better Act included $10 billion in down payment assistance, enabling more first-generation homebuyers to purchase their first homes.
- The pandemic has forced millions of homeowners to fall behind on their mortgage through no fault of their own. Thanks to the American Rescue Plan, which Jimmy voted for, California received $1 billion in mortgage relief grants to help thousands of homeowners save their homes. The federally funded California Mortgage Relief Program will help an estimated 20,000 to 40,000 struggling homeowners, with funds reserved for homeowners in socially disadvantaged and underserved communities often hit hardest by the pandemic.
- Promoting Equitable Access to Affordable Housing
- Jimmy supports expanding the Fair Housing Act to bar discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, and source of income (e.g., housing vouchers).
- A Green New Deal for Housing
- Both climate change and the housing crisis pose existential threats to Angelenos, and both must be addressed with urgency. I have worked hard during my time in Congress to support equitable investments in green affordable housing.
- The Build Back Better Act incorporated several bills and provisions Jimmy sponsored that would increase incentives to make homes more efficient, help lower consumers’ energy bills, and reduce carbon emissions while simultaneously creating jobs:
- The Home Energy Savings Act (H.R. 5187) would increase the tax credit under section 25C of the tax code from 10% to 30%, extend it through 2031, replace the lifetime cap with an annual $1,200 limitation, and establish higher goals for energy efficient home upgrades by modernizing efficiency standards.
- The New Home Energy Efficiency Act (H.R. 5188) would extend the section 45L tax credit for the construction of energy efficient new homes through 2031, increase it from $2,000 to $2,500 for homes meeting modern energy efficiency standards, create a new $5,000 tier for homes certified under the Department of Energy Zero Energy Ready Home program, and expand the incentive for multifamily homes.
- Public housing is a critical part of the Green New Deal. That is why Jimmy is a co-sponsor of the H.R. 2664, the Green New Deal for Public Housing Act. The sweeping legislation aims to strengthen public housing communities, improve living conditions for residents, and create jobs by addressing the housing and climate crises through the retrofitting, rehabilitating, and decarbonizing of the nation’s entire public housing stock.
- Thanks to the American Rescue Plan, which he voted for, California received a historic $382.8 million for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This is the highest amount California has ever received in LIHEAP to help families struggling with the costs of home heating.
- End Homelessness in America
- In Los Angeles County, there are over 50,000 people experiencing homelessness, nearly 5,000 of whom are children, and over 3,800 of whom are veterans. Congressman Gomez is an original co-sponsor of the Ending Homelessness Act of 2019 which would appropriate $13.27 billion in mandatory emergency relief funding over five years to several critical federal housing programs and initiatives, providing the resources that these programs need to effectively address the homelessness crisis in America.
- Championing Anti-Poverty Solutions
- Beyond ensuring affordable housing, Jimmy is a strong supporter of legislation that increases and protects resources that alleviate poverty. He supported efforts to protect vital safety net programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), unemployment insurance, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Affordable Care Act, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
Campaign Finance Reform
Congressman Gomez has been a champion of campaign finance reform in the Assembly and Congress. Jimmy was the principal author of the California DISCLOSE Act, which expanded campaign reform and disclosures in California. He supports the overturn of Citizen’s United with the goal of public financing of elections. Jimmy helped pass H.R. 1, the For the People Act, which is the most comprehensive anti-corruption and democracy reform bill to pass the House since Watergate. This legislation will limit the influence of big money in politics, strengthen ethics rules for public servants” and create a small-donor public financing matching system.
Jimmy Gomez, as a son of immigrants, knows that immigration and diversity contributes to the fabric of this country and makes us better. That’s why Jimmy fought against Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda, including efforts to ban immigrants based on religion, splitting up families to deport parents of U.S. citizens and separating families at the border. In Congress, Jimmy was only 1 of 19 democrats who voted against legislation to fund Donald Trump’s border wall, his demand for more detention beds, and increased funding for ICE. source: www.rollcall.com.
Jimmy will always stand up and fight for all of us by protecting immigrants through the passage of the Dream and Promise Act, implementing comprehensive immigration reform that keeps families together, and bringing undocumented persons out of the shadows with a path to citizenship.
- Jimmy is a cosponsor of the Dream & American Promise Act. Congressman Gomez cosponsored and voted to pass the Dreamers bill because it will protect immigrant youth who are DACA recipients and immigrants who have temporary protective status (TPS) from deportation, and provide them with a path to citizenship.
- Jimmy supports banning the use of private prisons by ICE and co-sponsored the Justice is Not for Sale Act – H.R. 3227 – by Rep. Raul Grijalva to do just that. He also is fighting to allow unannounced visits by Members of Congress to ICE and Custom Border Patrol Facilities to provide greater oversight and accountability.
- Jimmy voted against Republican legislation to fund Donald Trump’s border wall, his demand for more detention beds, and increased funding for ICE(H.R. 1892 – the Budget Act of 2018, H.R. 1625 – Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018, H.R.1370 Department of Homeland Security Blue Campaign Authorization Act of 2017, H. JRes 123 and H.R. 195).
- Jimmy held citizenship workshops to help his constituents to begin or complete the process of becoming U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents.
- Jimmy secured $20 million in federal funding for the Citizenship and Integration Grant Program in Fiscal Year 2022, a 100 percent increase. The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights and other immigrant
- Introduced legislation (H.R. 6055) to prohibit the federal government from prosecuting local and state officials for implementing Sanctuary City laws.
- Jimmy visited the US – Mexican Border with over 20 organizations and hundreds of people to protest Trump’s Child Separation Policy and demand the better treatment of undocumented children.
- Other co-sponsored legislation includes: H.R. 6326 – Reunite Separated Families Act of 2018, H.R. 3440 – Dream Act of 2017, H.R. 2788 – HEAL for Immigrant Women and Families Act.
Jimmy is the only candidate endorsed by the United Farm Workers of American, and Civil Rights Leader Dolores Huerta.
Working Families and Jobs
Congressman Gomez believes that government should work for the people and not the large corporations or special interests. As a former labor organizer, Jimmy continues the fight against income inequality and is committed to raising the minimum wage and securing worker protections under attack.
- Jimmy is fighting to provide a robust social safety net for working families. But he understands that to accomplish this goal we must ensure that billionaires pay their fair share in taxes.
That’s why Jimmy sponsored the For the 99.8% Act (H.R. 4857), with Senator Bernie Sanders. This bill will close a Trump tax loophole for billionaires while raising the trillions of dollars needed for essential services, including healthcare, education, housing and more. Senator Bernie Sanders is the sponsor of the companion bill in the Senate (S.309).
“The richest 400 billionaires pay lower taxes than everyone else. In my view, this obscene inequality in wealth and political power is not compatible with a democratic society. I am proud that Representative Gomez is leading three dozen members of the House in introducing the For The 99.8% Act to tax today’s dynasty trusts and curb their power, while raising trillions of dollars for the essential programs we need as a country.” – Senator Bernie Sanders
- Jimmy is fighting to make permanent the enhanced and expanded child tax credit to provide monthly payments of $250 – $300 per child, per family and paid monthly; putting money directly in their pockets to help them pay for food, rent and other essentials. Jimmy is proud that he helped pass the enhanced child tax credit as part of the American rescue plan. During the first 6 months of implementation, the enhanced child tax credit helped cut poverty by 40-60 percent depending on the community and state.
- Jimmy fought to pass the American Rescue Act – the COVID Relief bill that helped people pay for food and rent, and helped protect jobs and keep small businesses open during the pandemic
- Jimmy passed the Paycheck Protection Program, the Economic Injury Disaster Loans, and the Restaurant Revitalization Fund that provided a financial life-line to small businesses in our communities to help them stay open and keep their workers employed and paid.
- Jimmy also supports establishing a hazard pay fund for essential workers who put their lives on the line daily during the COVID19 pandemic.
Congressmember Gomez is the only candidate endorsed by the California Labor Federation, the National Association of Letter Carriers, SEIU, AFSCME International, Nurses, Teachers, Firefighters and Grocery workers.
COVID-19 Pandemic and Relief
The COVID-19 pandemic has been devastating for our communities, state and country. Yet, Congressman Jimmy Gomez recognizes that the pandemic has disproportionately impacted people of color, the working class, immigrants, seniors, students, people with pre-existing conditions, and small businesses. That why Jimmy has fought to ensure any COVID-19 relief legislation puts people first, not big corporations or the super wealthy. Here are some of the actions Jimmy has taken:
- Sponsored the Emergency Money for the People Act (H.R. 6496): This bill on the CARES ACT and “expands relief to more Americans and includes a $2,000 monthly payment to every qualifying American over the age of 16 for up to 12 months.” Congressman Gomez believes a one-time payment is not enough for people survive this pandemic.
- Secured over $80 million in emergency funding for hospitals and community health centers in Los Angeles to help patients during the COVID-19 pandemic through the CARES Act.
- Helped secure and deliver personal protective equipment (PPE) to frontline workers and community organizations who did not have sufficient inventory for their employees or the public.
- Voted to provide $1200 dollar direct cash payments to individuals through the CARES ACT.
- Voted for the $600 per week in federal unemployment payments and is fighting to extent the payments to the end of the year.
- Voted to provide essential workers with $200 billion in hazard pay and guaranteed paid sick leavethrough the HEROES Act.
- Voted for an additional $75 million for COVID-19 testing
- Voted to pass over $1 trillion dollars in forgivable loans for local small businesses to help them survive the COVID-19 pandemic and the economic fallout.
- Voted to defer student loan payments through the CARES Act, and voted to cancel up to $10,000 in student loan debt per person through the HEROES Act.
Paid Family Leave
Jimmy is a national champion on Paid Family Leave. He authored and passed landmark legislation, Assembly Bill 908 in California, the nation’s most progressive expansion of Paid Family Leave that President Obama hailed as a model for Congress. Now, Jimmy is fighting to pass the Family Act, with Representative Rosa DeLauro, to implement a national paid family leave program.
Jimmy is the ONLY candidate in 34th Congressional District endorsed by the Planned Parenthood Action Fund and NARAL Pro-Choice America because of his unwavering commitment to women’s reproductive rights and gender equality. Jimmy received the Champion of Choice Award from Planned Parenthood for his legislative accomplishments on behalf of women and families. In the California State Assembly, Jimmy was the Chair of the Select Committee on Domestic Violence to help raise awareness and knowledge on strategies, legislation and programs needed to decrease the incidence of intimate partner violence, while providing additional support to victims.
- Jimmy cosponsored and voted to pass the Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021 to codify Roe v. Wade in federal statutes, thus ensuring a right to an abortion before fetal viability.
- Jimmy opposes the Supreme Court of the United States efforts to overturn Roe V. Wade as the law of the land and undermining the right to privacy of women and all other Americans.
- Jimmy sponsored the Jeanette Acosta Invest in Women’s Health Act, (H.R. 3129) with Planned Parenthood to help local healthcare providers better serve their patients and ensure everyone has access to life-saving cancer screenings.
- Jimmy sponsored and helped pass the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act to “improve prevention and response to sexual violence, including increased support for the Rape Prevention and Education Program and Sexual Assault Services, and enactment of the Fairness for Rape Kit Backlog Survivors Act.”
- Jimmy supports equal pay for equal work, the Paycheck Fairness Act and will fight the GOP’s war against women and access to health care.
- Jimmy supports rigorous enforcement of Title IX, and foreign policies that help women break through social, legal and economic barriers throughout the world.
Jimmy will protect Medicare and Social Security from GOP “restructuring” and oppose cuts to safety net programs like Meals on Wheels and heating assistance. He supports Windfall Elimination Provision reform and expanding Social Security to strengthen the program in the long term. He opposes any effort to undermine the short and long-term solvency of Social Security.
- Jimmy introduced the Language Access for Medicare Beneficiaries Act to require Medicare resources be translated into languages besides English and Spanish.
- Jimmy cosponsored the Social Security 2100 Act and the Save Our Social Security Now Act. These bills would expand benefits for Social Security recipients, cut taxes for seniors, ensure the solvency of the Social Security program, and prevent Presidents from defunding it with a permanent payroll tax cut.
Jimmy is a strong ally in the fight for LGBTQIA Rights. In Congress, Jimmy has opposed any effort to advance so-called “religious liberty” bills which are attempts to legitimize discrimination against LGBT individuals and families and maintain advances made by the Obama Administration to protect LGBT rights, protections and services. I
In the Assembly, Jimmy successfully sponsored bills signed into law, which required senior care facilities to undergo training on serving LGBTQIA seniors, and another to change birth certificates for same gender couples.
As a member of the House LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus, I am working in Congress toward the extension of equal rights, the repeal of discriminatory laws, the elimination of hate-motivated violence, and the improved health and wellbeing for all regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity and expression.
Jimmy is a cosponsor of the Equality Act. Not only does this historic legislation provide critical safeguards from discrimination that LGBTQ individuals across the country both need and deserve, but it also reflects House Democrats’ shared and ongoing fight to secure justice and equal rights for all Americans no matter who they love. The Senate must follow the House’s lead immediately and pass this important bill and send it directly to President Biden’s desk for his signature.
Jimmy believes that all Americans should have the option to donate blood, regardless of the sexual orientation or gender identity. That is why I have called on the Food and drug Administration to stop the stigmatization of gay and bisexual men and end discriminatory policies that ban blood donors based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Jimmy is the only candidate endorsed by Equality California, the Stonewall Democratic Club and the Stonewall Young Democratic Club.
Through their service, veterans have sacrificed for all of us. America needs to repay that service and sacrifice by fully funding veterans programs, including VA medical benefits and mental health support programs, job training, VHA loans, housing and other support programs. We need to ensure that our veterans have the support they need. Congressman Gomez introduced the Wage Adjustment for Veterans Enrolled in School (WAVES) Act. The bill would raise the minimum wage standard for full-time or 3/4-time students within the Federal Work Study program under the GI Bill.
As the owner of a shelter dog, Austin, Jimmy Gomez is a huge proponent of animal adoption from shelters and rescues. In Congress, Jimmy has pushed to increase enforcement funding to protect endangered species from poaching, add penalties for animal cruelty and allow expanded access for service animals for veterans.